Contributors

Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Beth Israel, doc settle gender discrimination suit for $7M

Boston Herald.com

By Ira Kantor


A doctor at Harvard Medical School has settled a gender discrimination lawsuit with Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center for $7 million.
The case involved allegations of gender discrimination and retaliation brought by Dr. Carol Warfield, who served as chief of the hospital’s anesthesia and critical care department from 2000 to 2007.
As part of the settlement, Warfield will also have the hospital’s pain clinic named in her honor.
“I came to the Beth Israel Hospital as a resident in the 1970s and made it my professional home. It was my judgment at the start of my career, as it is today, that BIDMC is a vibrant and important health-care institution, with caring, innovative and talented clinicians and deeply committed staff,” Warfield said in a statement. “I am glad that this dispute is behind me and behind the institution I love. I am also humbled by BIDMC’s acknowledgement of my contributions and deeply gratified that the hospital has chosen to lead at this moment by reaffirming its commitment to equal opportunity for all of its employees. I am content with the resolution here and look forward to my association with BIDMC now and into the future.”
The hospital said it had contested Warfield’s claims throughout the litigation, which was scheduled for trial this week, and in reaching a settlement, would not admit any wrongdoing.
Warfield serves as the Lowenstein Distinguished Professor of Anesthesia at Harvard Medical School.
For More Information Contact us at:

No comments:

Post a Comment